I mentioned in my last update that I had completed the GUI for the main screen of my application, and had started to integrate with the Evernote API. I'm happy to report my main screen now actually does something other than stare back at me. I'm grabbing a list of the user's notebooks in my application, and I've successfully done that utilizing an account I created on Evernote's Sandbox server (http://sandbox.evernote.com).

I'm now working on saving some information to a SQLite database. The Android developer documentation has some very good examples on how to get started with a SQLite database in your application (http://developer.android.com/training/basic…). I'm a SQL Server DBA by career, so I was particularly excited to work on this part of my application.

I also decided that it would probably be a good idea to get my application under source control so that I have a history of my changes. After some research, I decided to use Git for this. Git and Subversion seem to be the top players in terms of open source tools out there for source control, with Git being the newer, shiny of the two. I opted to give Git a try, and now at least have my project under local source control. Still need to figure out a good way to copy it to my NAS for backup via Git, but haven't researched that much yet.

A word of caution if you decide to use Git: read the documentation book once before taking any action, at least the intro chapters (http://git-scm.com/book/en/v2) instead of setting up your Git repository while you read through it. Last weekend, in an effort to get out of the house for an afternoon, I went to a local coffee shop (http://ghostlightcoffee.com/) to work on my application. I started going through the documentation rather quickly and setting up my repository as I read. I got the repository set up, realized I checked in everything in my working directory which isn't necessary, tried to remove some stuff from source control, and ended up deleting my entire application. Upon doing this, I immediately drove back home so others at the coffee shop couldn't see me crying (j/k about the crying, but I felt like doing so).

Thankfully, even though I hadn't yet committed my files to source control, Git kept 'dangling blobs' of the the files I had staged (all of them), and I was able to recover the text of the files by going through about 50 dangling blob files and dumping each one to a text file (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9560…). I had to recreate the project in eclipse, but recovering key files like my AndroidManifest.XML, main.XML layout file, and my java class files became more of a copy paste exercise rather than a redo everything exercise. Regardless, it was about 4 hours of my life I'd prefer not to repeat.